05 October, 2011

Can't Always Trust Myself

Against my better judgement I went out for my 30 minute run/walk tonight.  For a number of reasons (excuses) I didn't think it would be a good idea.  I was tired from a 3:30am discussion with my son about why he should go back to bed, I had a mentally exhausting day at work, I ate dinner late, and I really just wanted to kick back and relax for the evening.  To top it off, my body was telling me that it just wasn't going to happen.

Instead of listening to all of that, I headed out telling myself that I'd just stop whenever I felt like I was done.  Shortly into my walk my left calf started to cramp up, but when RunKeeper told me it was time to run I ran.  And the cramp got worse.  Then my right leg started to cramp.  Clearly, my body was telling me to stop.  My body was saying "you can't do this tonight, give up!".  Against my better judgement, I stopped and stretched my calf to break the cramping and kept going.

By the time I hit my second run I had convinced my body to stop protesting and get with the program.  In the end, by going against my better judgement and ignoring my body's protests I was able to have a fairly successful run/walk (more walk than run, by the way).

I haven't yet figured out how to know when my body is really telling me it needs to stop and when it's just whining.  In the end I got 2 miles in tonight and I'm pretty happy with myself.  It would seem that sometimes it's best to go against my better judgement and tell my body to quit whining if I'm going to stay active and enjoy success in my journey to a fitter me.

No comments: